CGCC STANDING COMMITTEES
Junior Gardeners – Spring 2017 Deer Hill School
Junior Gardeners – Fall 2015
COMMITTEE NAME: JUNIOR GARDENERS
CHAIR: Arienne Lima, Diane Benson
MEMBER(S): Maureen Adams, Nancy Auenson, Patty Bogan, Adrienne DuBois, Iku Isihara, Jeanne Boutross, Vernita Bryant, Diane Benson, Barbara Canney, Joan Carlo, Judy Dickstein, Barbara Dillon, Lee Drew, Julie Hess, Mary McLaughlin, Shiela Toomey, Maureen Flaherty, Martha Gjesterby, Carol Graham, Kathy Gray, Lee Jenkins, Melanie Lelio, Barbara Lombardy, Tania McCann, Annjean Moody, Susan Reagan, Dolores Roy, Claire Tinory
- Run monthly programs for children Grades 3-5 at Deer Hill School that include principles of floral design, horticulture, gardening, environmental issues, conservation, etc.
- Support intra-mural after school garden club for Grades 6-8 at Junior High to follow the Club’s Objective
- Support the Sustainable Courtyard Garden and school wide Composting Program for Grades 9-12 at High School
- The goal is to enhance the children and young people’s knowledge of gardening and environmental awareness.
- Appoint a deputy to stand in if Chair is unavailable and additional committee members as necessary. It is recommended that Club members who are not Board Members should be included as much as possible. This will spread the workload, familiarize members in the working of the committee, involve them more in the Club’s activities and build succession skills for the future. Submit all names to be included in the Yearbook.
GRADES 3-5 AT DEER HILL:
- Meet with members of the committee in June to plan activities and programs for the school year, to include the Program Leader for each month’s program.
- Provide dates and program titles to Yearbook Chair by July
- Liaise with Program Leader for each given month
GRADES 6-8 AT JUNIOR HIGH:
- After-school Garden Club program. Sponsored by CGCC and run by middle school staff.
GRADES 9-12 AT HIGH SCHOOL:
- Stay in contact with Principal, Carolyn Connelly, to meet mentoring, advice and guidance needs as necessary
- Assist purchasing program for tools and supplies. Ensure adequately stored.
- Support school efforts to ensure that garden is maintained going forward
- Provide Budget for May Board meeting (to be approved at June meeting)
- Produce and present Annual Report for June Board Meeting
- Review Standing Committee Report at end of the second year to determine if any changes are needed
- Meet with successor to hand over job description and guidelines
- Appoint an Administrative Co-Chair for the Deer Hill program to assist the Chair by completing the following:
- September: Send out invitation flyers, get permission forms signed, set up email bank, make name badges for students and volunteers
- Keep track of attendance, arrange for snacks and drinks, and record participation of Club volunteers